Sunday, June 3, 2012

Moist and Delicious Vanilla Layer Cake




The smell of freshly baked vanilla cake is simply divine. Over the last week I have baked 3 different vanilla cake recipes and this is the clear winner in my books. Sourced from the amazing Bakerella, it has fantastic flavour, tender crumb and is still just as moist 2 days after baking, which is great for a scratch cake.


Paired with a sweet American buttercream it makes for a yummy birthday cake, perfect for my sister's cocktail celebration this weekend. And after all the cake I've had over the last 7 days, I most certainly still had a slice at the party. I have a cake addiction with no intention of quitting just yet!





To decorate I covered the 6 inch layer cake with pink fondant and used the Marion Frost patchwork diamond design to indent the quilting pattern, then a tracing wheel to exaggerate the lines a little more. Silicone moulds are fantastic and make decorating a breeze. Dust first with super pearl dust to give a lovely pearlescent finish and push in some fondant mixed with tylose powder. Turn the mould over and gently push out the shape for easy removal. I used the pearl mould by First Impressions and the brooch mould by Karen Davies. I gave the brooch some colour with some edible gold metallic paint and allowed it to dry before attaching to the bow.




Moist Vanilla Layer Cake
adapted from Bakerella (American measures converted to weight)

227g butter (room temperature)
450g sugar
4 eggs (room temperature)
375g sifted self-raising flour
237ml/245g whole milk (room temperature)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

 1.   Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line (3) 8 inch cake pans.
2.   Using a mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue to cream for about 7 minutes.
3.   Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each egg is added.
4.   Add flour and milk (alternating to creamed mixture), beginning and ending with flour.
5.   Add vanilla and mix until just combined.
6.   Divide batter equally into three cake pans. Hold each layer about 3 inches above your counter and carefully drop the pans flat onto counter several times to ensure release of any air bubbles. This will help you have a more level cake.
7.   Bake for 25 – 30 minutes (depending on your oven) until done.
8.   Cool in pans for 5 – 10 minutes. Remove and immediately wrap each layer in plastic wrap to seal in moisture. Once cooled, you are ready to assemble your cake.


Sugar spray
Here’s Bakerella's little trick to add moisture into the layers:
Combine 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of water in a saucepan.
Bring to boil and boil for approximately 3 minutes. Let cool.
Pour liquid into a spray bottle or pouring bottle.


Vanilla Buttercream
250g butter (room temperature)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
500-750g icing sugar mixture (depends on desired consistency, humidity etc)
1-2 tablespoons milk

1.   Using a mixer, cream softened butter and vanilla until white and fluffy (3-5 minutes).
2.   Add sugar gradually, allowing butter and sugar to cream together before adding more.
3.   If you want your frosting a little creamier, add a tablespoon of milk at a time and beat on high until you get the right texture. Food colours can be used to tint buttercream if desired.


Cake assembly
Unwrap first layer and using a serrated knife, level off the top of your cake.
Place layer onto your dish. Take a straw and poke holes into the layer. Using your spray bottle, spray top of layer several times; enough to give it a little moisture. Be careful – don’t add too much.
Add a layer of frosting to your bottom layer. Repeat on second and third layers.
Frost the sides.

                                                          Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. I love the quilting detail! And the crumb on the cake looks so moist and delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious!! What a beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, first I would like to say I love you cake above!!! :-) Secondly, I decided to make this cake today for my grandsons birthday. The whole time I'm doing everything all heck brake lose cause the kids was bouncing off the wall. Needless to say, I forgot to sift the flour and then before I put all of it in I ran and sifted the remaining flour. This cake smell soooo good and it's soooo moist, I don't think I need to add the simple syrup. You don't use this cake when you have to carved a cake do you? Blah blah blah, I can go on forever so with that said THANKS FOR SHARING YOU RECIPE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yulanda,
      I'm so glad you liked the cake and I hope your grandson did too. It is a pretty forgiving recipe and if it's being eaten within 24 hours, I don't bother with the syrup either. I don't think this cake would work very well for a carved cake as it is so moist and soft it is likely to crumble when carved. A better cake for carving would be a mudcake. Thanks!

      http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/white-chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html
      http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I will it those a try and see what happens. I'm really thinking about going back to school to finish my training, so that I can follow up on my passion which cake decorating before disaster hit my life. I love looking at other people's talents and it truly inspire me to go back. Thanks again for sharing your experience with cakes.

      Delete
  4. I just had to post one more thing, IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...